Some Basic Documentation

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:51 PM
Obviously, for a project in this stage extensive documentation can't be expected.  Very basic things, however, would be helpful.  I'm not sure what the purpose of Collect and Collect Table are, even after having read the code and having played with it.  Perhaps some comments above those functions, or even a one page introduction and state-of-the-release document?$0$0$0$0:) Alexey$0
Sep 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM
I wrote up a brief overview of how I imagine PlayingCards working - if you don't have a similar document, it may be a useful starting point.  I hope I understood your idea correctly.  Feel free to do with it as you wish.$0$0$0$0http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2001/Cardgame%20Design%200.01.doc$0$0
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM
Yep, I have no roadmap, so this will be useful.  Ill pull it down and let you know my thoughts.  Oh and for the collect and collect table... they were really (earlier on) being used to get the cards back into the deck, but I dont like that method.  Also, I am thinking that a left click on the deck will pull a card face up, but a right click will do it face down.  And a drag/drop to the deck would put the card back to the deck which is not yet implemented. We would still need a way to collect the table back to the deck though. The EOT button is a simple way to signal an end of turn - quick and dirty, but not a permanent solution.  Turn needs to be managed though, because it's possible that two people could attempt to move the same card on the table.

Another thing I would like to try to adjust, is that when I place a card on the table in front of me, I would rather it be visible to another client in a different location on the table.  In a real card game, each person has their own "area" on the table to place cards.  As it is, it looks like cards you might place on the table are being placed right in front of me.

Let me go over you document and we can put together a finalized roadmap, and then maybe get the code into a source control system so that we can do some concurrent development.  Are you familiar with subversion or other?  I dont know what codeplex offers but can look into it.
Sep 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM
Hey,

Take a look; it's a rough outline of the baseline/extended functionality. I'm happy to submit a few hours of work on my end; My feeling is that it would be helpful to, as you suggested, set up a road map and a number of target releases, break each roadmap into a number of functionality targets and then distribute those between you, me, and whoever else is willing to help. Google sites (look.fo/google-sites) or BaseCamp (look.fo/basecamp) may be helpful in planning releases and features in releases, etc.

I think one of the key things we may want to do at the start is separate the UI from the Network - I saw that you already have a project dedicated to logic; another separate project dedicated to network/communications may be worthwhile. That way, the main form could subscribe to events from the Network object and send events to the network object.

One way to not have to manage turns (for games like http://look.fo/durak-card-game) would be to have a mechanism for checking cards in and out. That way, if two people go for the same card, as soon as one of them reaches for it he will 'lock' that card on the server and the second person will receive an appropriate message telling about the lock.

I'm not intimately familiar with recent Source Control systems - I've been working in a more managerial capacity for a while, but have Express 2008 on my computer. If you prefer/have experience with subversion or another system, and it integrates with VS, this should suffice.

Alexey

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 4:34 PM, xlar54 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yep, I have no roadmap, so this will be useful. Ill pull it down and let you know my thoughts. Oh and for the collect and collect table... they were really (earlier on) being used to get the cards back into the deck, but I dont like that method. Also, I am thinking that a left click on the deck will pull a card face up, but a right click will do it face down. And a drag/drop to the deck would put the card back to the deck which is not yet implemented. We would still need a way to collect the table back to the deck though. The EOT button is a simple way to signal an end of turn - quick and dirty, but not a permanent solution. Turn needs to be managed though, because it's possible that two people could attempt to move the same card on the table.

Another thing I would like to try to adjust, is that when I place a card on the table in front of me, I would rather it be visible to another client in a different location on the table. In a real card game, each person has their own "area" on the table to place cards. As it is, it looks like cards you might place on the table are being placed right in front of me.

Let me go over you document and we can put together a finalized roadmap, and then maybe get the code into a source control system so that we can do some concurrent development. Are you familiar with subversion or other? I dont know what codeplex offers but can look into it.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (playingcards@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email playingcards@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Hey,

I'm typically available on Friday/Saturday (Israeli weekends). I'd be happy to contribute a few hours a week to the project; perhaps weekends as well. The key thing looks to be having set 'action-items' that we can try to do and check off whenever there's free time available. I guess the first one would be to create that list, in which case we'd need an approved blue-print. What do you think?

Alexey

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Alexey Komissarouk <AlexeyMK@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

Take a look; it's a rough outline of the baseline/extended functionality. I'm happy to submit a few hours of work on my end; My feeling is that it would be helpful to, as you suggested, set up a road map and a number of target releases, break each roadmap into a number of functionality targets and then distribute those between you, me, and whoever else is willing to help. Google sites (look.fo/google-sites) or BaseCamp (look.fo/basecamp) may be helpful in planning releases and features in releases, etc.

I think one of the key things we may want to do at the start is separate the UI from the Network - I saw that you already have a project dedicated to logic; another separate project dedicated to network/communications may be worthwhile. That way, the main form could subscribe to events from the Network object and send events to the network object.

One way to not have to manage turns (for games like http://look.fo/durak-card-game) would be to have a mechanism for checking cards in and out. That way, if two people go for the same card, as soon as one of them reaches for it he will 'lock' that card on the server and the second person will receive an appropriate message telling about the lock.

I'm not intimately familiar with recent Source Control systems - I've been working in a more managerial capacity for a while, but have Express 2008 on my computer. If you prefer/have experience with subversion or another system, and it integrates with VS, this should suffice.

Alexey

Yep, I have no roadmap, so this will be useful. Ill pull it down and let you know my thoughts. Oh and for the collect and collect table... they were really (earlier on) being used to get the cards back into the deck, but I dont like that method. Also, I am thinking that a left click on the deck will pull a card face up, but a right click will do it face down. And a drag/drop to the deck would put the card back to the deck which is not yet implemented. We would still need a way to collect the table back to the deck though. The EOT button is a simple way to signal an end of turn - quick and dirty, but not a permanent solution. Turn needs to be managed though, because it's possible that two people could attempt to move the same card on the table.

Another thing I would like to try to adjust, is that when I place a card on the table in front of me, I would rather it be visible to another client in a different location on the table. In a real card game, each person has their own "area" on the table to place cards. As it is, it looks like cards you might place on the table are being placed right in front of me.

Let me go over you document and we can put together a finalized roadmap, and then maybe get the code into a source control system so that we can do some concurrent development. Are you familiar with subversion or other? I dont know what codeplex offers but can look into it.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (playingcards@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email playingcards@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2008 at 1:34 AM
Im in agreement. If you feel like making some improvements in the meantime, by all means do. My work and home have me pretty busy at the moment, so go ahead and make changes as you feel need to be done. We will work out something as far as a repository for source code as we can.

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM, AlexeyMK <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey,

I'm typically available on Friday/Saturday (Israeli weekends). I'd be happy to contribute a few hours a week to the project; perhaps weekends as well. The key thing looks to be having set 'action-items' that we can try to do and check off whenever there's free time available. I guess the first one would be to create that list, in which case we'd need an approved blue-print. What do you think?

Alexey

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Alexey Komissarouk <AlexeyMK@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

Alexey

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.